Sunday 19 June 2011

Mooring practice

(By Louise)

The weather forecast did not look good for the weekend, southwesterly F6-8 with squally showers.  I wanted to go to Ishtar anyway to refit the spray dodgers and trim the carpet that I had begun to fit last weekend.  Martin suggested that I take the boat out for a sail on my own.  The thought really scared me, not so much the sailing but taking the boat off and then back on the mooring.

Off I went to Dale and after getting the tender sorted and motoring to the boat I pottered about with the spray dodgers until I could put it off no longer. 

With the engine running and everything ready I cast off from the mooring.  The wind indicator was showing 15 knots westerly  but it felt stronger so I let out half the genoa and put the engine into neutral.  I was going 5.7 knots S.O.G.  With the engine then switched off I felt really exhilarated, I had been so nervous but now I felt excited. 

There were not many others about, certainly no yachts, so when I got near Great Castle Head I decided to head for home.  I motored back to Dale and slowed right down near our mooring. 

The last time I had tried this I managed to run over the tender's painter and I nearly sunk it, so I was very nervous.  I slowly edged alongside the tender and having put the boat into neutral I made a dash out of the cockpit, boat hook in hand, and got hold of one of the mooring lines. 

Once  I had one of our lines on the boat gently drifted back and I could then hook the other line and get the chain on.  I was delighted and couldn't wait to ring an anxious Martin to tell him that Ishtar was safely back on her mooring.

A very small step but one in the right direction.